What is a CFO (Chief Financial Officer), the CFO nomenclature is part of a conception of business organization typical of Anglo-Saxon culture that has been expanding throughout the world. From the economic and financial point of view, the position of CFO is created. Responsible for the economic and financial planning of the company. Correct operation and management of investment and financing.
1. What made you want to join mjn-neuro?
I wanted to work in a company that was directly related to helping people, to make their lives easier in some way, and mjn-neuro was the perfect company for that. Working and at the same time helping people in need is completely rewarding. For the last year I have been actively participating in volunteer actions, in various fields: education, civil law, human rights… I think it is part of my way of being and of seeing society.
2. What 5 personal characteristics best describe you?
I am a responsible, cheerful, intuitive, organized and empathetic person. I am happy doing what I do and I always show who I am and how I am. From the point of view of my profession, the complexity of accounting characterizes me: organized and responsible, 2+2 are 4 but above all intuitive in forecasting, but always empathetic and cheerful to be able to speak, ask and demonstrate what the company needs.
I am happy doing what I do and I always show who I am and how I am
3. Explain the evolution of your company’s product?
Since I have been with the company, the product has evolved little. Even so, it is a product that has been developed by great technological professionals and epilepsy researchers. A really complex disease. But currently we can say that the product is officially on sale in Spain, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands, with which we will start a European expansion in the coming months.
4. If you had to decide whether an investment is profitable, how would you do it?
Profitability allows us to relate the benefit obtained with the amount invested to achieve it. To know if an investment is profitable I would do it through a simple formula, I would divide the total profit (capital gains or losses and dividends or interests) between the initial value of the investment and I would multiply it by 100 to know the percentage we are talking about.
5. What are two metrics that a CFO should always monitor?
The first would be the budget, since it is essential to keep in mind the business and the actions to be taken in both the short and long term and observing and studying it helps to gain perspective and focus on the most urgent actions.
The second is the ROI or return on investment. It is the data that allows us to know if the company earned or lost the money invested in the business. It is calculated considering the profits we have generated for the investment made.
6. What are your 3 greatest achievements?
- Being the CFO of a company with eight employees under my responsibility and managing more than 50 companies in different sectors.
- To have been able to give up a financially secure position to fight for the dream of working with more socially committed companies.
- To have found the balance to combine my work with my family life.
7. What long-term plans did you make in your last job? How did you achieve your long-term goals?
To be able to reach the global objectives in an individual and personalized way. To achieve long term goals you have to set short term challenges and meet them without forgetting the most important thing, the client and how to satisfy him. Step by step, respecting, but following your goals, you can reach great milestones.
8. What is the most challenging part of budgeting for you?
Reducing expenses without reducing efficiency. Finding competitive suppliers that have balanced prices and matching those prices to our needs.
9. As you set objectives and develop strategies, what information do you consider? What role do other members of the department team play in the process?
First, in order to develop new strategies or set objectives, I must take into account the needs of the company and its capacity to reach the objectives set. To do this, the company’s balance sheet will be evaluated with all that it encompasses (cash flow, potential customers, suppliers …) as well as future estimates of the income statement always taking into account all the departments involved in the company because without the parts we cannot get a whole.
10. Finally, give us a tip, an example of what your investment strategy would be
Invest in small Spanish companies or startups that are socially committed to people and make their emotional and/or personal lives easier in some way.
Thank you very much for your time.
Congratulations for all the success you have achieved during these years!